It was evident that the fundamentalists would enforce a hartal with support of the BNP and carry out violent attacks across the country as fraud cleric and preacher of MOUDUDI Islam Delawar Hossain Sayedee has been handed down capital punishment for genocide, rape, loot and Hindu persecution in 1971.
Until 9pm, the Jamaat-Shibir men have become the reason for the deaths of at least 32 people including police, pedestrians and rickshaw-pullars.
But still, the SHAHBAGH OCCUPIERS are not afraid and they’re continuing the non-stop agitation. Hearing the verdict, they burst into joy and brought out rallies. Similar events took place around the country and also abroad.
They declared doa mahfil at mosques on Friday and urged all to hoist national flags on Saturday. The bloggers have left Shahbagh for today but the other protesters, including those in groups, are staying.
A Mass Rally will be held at SHAHBAGH at 3pm. I hope to see millions joining the gathering despite prevailing panic created by the fundamentalists.
And yet, the govt hasn’t BANNED the radical Islamist party for terrorist activities.
The defence has categorically rejected the DEATH SENTENCE claiming that it was injustice and hinted that it was done to please the OCCUPY SHAHBAGH protest. They’ll appeal against the verdict, no doubt, says Masud Sayedee.
The main opposition party in parliament, BNP, has refrained from commenting on the verdict as it did on the two previous instances. Shame!!!
Meanwhile, media reports say the govt will file the petition against Quader Mollah verdict on March 2, two weeks after the relevant law is amended.
Baitul Mokarram authorities have denounced last Friday’s atrocities that were launched from this national mosque. Mosque is where people come to bow to Allah, not to do politics. They also branded as a threat to the sovereignty the setting of fire inside the mosque, vandalising Shaheed Minars and demeaning the National Flag.
I and million other Bangladeshis are now wondering why the govt is taking time to BAN Jamaat considering its terrorist activities. Even though a petition on Jamaat’s ban is pending with the High Court since 2009, the govt could BAN the radical Islamist party anytime through an executive order, at least when the parliament is in session and the PM was present. She’s chosen “go-slow” policy for now and looking forward to see what the court says. It should be noted that the judiciary has never been NEUTRAL in the history of Bangladesh!
The SHAHBAGH spirit will compel the govt to take a decision at the earliest, I hope.
No place in Bangladesh for the anti-Bangladesh operatives. Joy Bangla – Long Live Bangladesh!!!
For Details: Sayedee to be hanged
TIMELINE – SAYEDEE CASE:
- Sayedee was arrested on June 29, 2010.
- Thirty-one charges submitted on July 11, 2011 and tribunal took cognisance on July 14, 2011.
- Tribunal framed 20 specific charges on October 3, 2011. Prosecution dropped one during the case proceedings.
- The trial finally began on November 20, 2011.
- Forty-four witnesses and absentee witnesses give deposition against Sayedee while 17 produced as defence witnesses. First prosecution witnesses testified on December 7, 2011 while the defence produced their first witness on September 2, 2012.
- Prosecution began placing its closing arguments on November 5, 2012 while the defence on November 18.
- Case proceedings at Tribunal-1 ended December 6, 2012.
- Tribunal reconstituted on December 13, 2012.
- Tribunal-1 on January 3 decided to rehear the closing arguments as it was reconstituted following the resignation of Justice Nizamul Huq, chairman of the tribunal, amid controversy over his Skype conversation with a Brussels-based Bangladeshi lawyer. It ended on January 29.
TIMELINE – CHARGES:
Twenty charges were brought against Jamaat-e-Islami leader and former MP Delawar Hossain Sayedee in connection with the alleged crimes against humanity and others during the 1971 Liberation War in Pirojpur district under the International Crimes (Tribunals) Act, 1973. The charges are given in brief:
1. On May 4, 1971, Sayedee as a member of Peace (shanti) Committee informed the Pakistan army and took them to a spot where the army killed 20 unnamed people by firing.
2. On May 4, 1971, the Jamaat leader along with his accomplices accompanied by the Pakistan army looted goods in Masimpur Hindu Para under Pirojpur Sadar, set the houses alight and opened fire on the scared people killing 13 people.
3. On May 4, 1971, Sayedee with the Pakistan army looted goods from the houses of two Hindu families in the same area and set the houses on fire. He also directly took part in setting fire to the roadside houses of villages Kalibari, Masimpur, Palpara, Sikarpur, Razarhat, Kukarpara, Dumur Tola, Kalamtola, Nawabpur, Alamkuthi, Dhukigathi, Parerha and Chinrakhali.
4. Sayedee and his accomplices, accompanied by the Pakistani army, on May 4, 1971 looted the Hindu houses and opened fire on them in front of Dhopa Bari and behind the LGED Building in Pirojpur, leaving four persons killed.
5. Sayedee was involved in the abduction and killing of Saif Mizanur Rahman, then deputy magistrate of Pirojpur Sub-division, Foyezur Rahman Ahmed, sub-divisional police officer, and Abdur Razzak (SDO in charge of Pirojpur) in the Baleshwar riverbank.
6. On May 7, 1971, Sayedee identified the houses and shops of Bangalees belonging to the Awami League, Hindu community and pro-liberation people at Parerhat Bazar under Pirojpur Sadar, and as one of the perpetrators, he looted away valuables, including 22 seers of gold and silver from the shop of one Makhanlal Shaha.
7. On May 8, 1971, Sayedee led a team of the Pakistan army to the house of freedom fighter Nurul Islam Khan, detained him and handed him over to the army, which tortured Nurul Islam. His house was then looted and finally set on fire.
8. Sayedee directly participated in the abduction, murder and persecution of Mofizuddin, brother of Manik Poshari at Chitholia under Pirojpur Sadar, and one Ibrahim on May 8, 1971. Their houses were burnt down too.
9. On June 2, 1971, armed associates of Sayedee accompanied by the Pakistani army raided the house of one Abdul Halim Babul at Nolbunia under Indurkani, looted valuables and then razed the house to ashes.
10. On June 2, 1971, Sayedee’s armed associates under his leadership and accompanied by the Pakistan army burnt 25 houses of a Hindu Para in Umedpur village under Indurkani Police Station. At one stage, a victim, Bisabali, was tied to a coconut tree and was shot dead by Sayedee’s accomplice.
11. On June 2, 1971, Sayedee and Peace Committee members, accompanied by the Pakistani army, raided the house of freedom fighter Mahbubul Alam Howlader of Tengra Khali village under Indurkani. Mahbubul’s elder brother Abdul Mazid Howlader was detained and tortured. Cash money, jewellery and other valuables were looted from the house.
12. One day, Sayedee with a group comprising 15-20 armed men entered the Hindu Para of Parerhat Bazar and captured 14 Hindus, tied them with a single rope to be dragged to Pirojpur and handed over to Pakistani soldiers, who killed them. Their bodies were thrown into the river.
13. One night, about 2 to 3 months after the war commenced, some members of Peace Committee with Sayedee and the Pakistan army raided the house of Azhar Ali of Nalbunia village in Pirojpur Sadar. They then caught and tortured Azahar Ali and his son Shaheb Ali. The team then abducted Shaheb Ali and ultimately he was taken to Pirojpur and killed.
14. During the final stages of the war, Sayedee one morning led a team of 50-60 Razakar into attacking the Hindu Para of Hoglabunia under Pirojpur Sadar. Some of them entered the house of one Shefali Gharami and raped her. Sayedee did not prevent them from committing rape upon her. They also set fire to the dwelling houses in the area.
15. Sayedee led 15-20 armed Razakars entered the Hoglabunia village under Pirojpur Sadar during the last part of the war, caught 10 members of the Hindu faith, tied all of them with a single rope, dragged them to Pirojpur and handed them over to the Pakistani army. They were all killed and their bodies were dumped into the river.
16. In the course of the Liberation War, Sayedee led a group of 10-12 armed Razakars and Peace Committee members, which surrounded the house of Gouranga Saha of Parerhat Bandar under Pirojpur Sadar. They abducted three women and handed them over to the Pakistan army where they were confined and raped for three days before being released.
17. During the Liberation War, Sayedee along with other armed Razakars kept Vanu Saha confined at her house at Parerhat and regularly used to go there to rape her.
18. During that time, one Bhagirothi used to work in the camp of the Pakistan army. One day, after a fight with the freedom fighters, and at the instance of Sayedee, Bhagirothi was charged with passing information to the freedom fighters and killed.
19. During the war, Sayedee, exercising his influence over the Hindu community of Pirojpur, converted 100-150 Hindus of Parerhat and other villages and compelled them to go to the mosque to offer prayers.
20. On a day at the end of November 1971, Sayedee got information that thousands of people were fleeing to India in order to save their lives. He led a group of 10-12 Razakars, attacked the houses of Talukdar Bari at Indurkani village and detained a total of 85 persons and looted goods from there. Of them, all but 10-12 persons were released in exchange for bribes negotiated by Razakar Fazlul Huq. The male persons were tortured and female persons were raped by Pakistan soldiers deployed in the camp.
The prosecution dropped the last charge during the case proceedings.
bdnews24.com gave a glimpse at Allama Delawar Hossain Sayedee, the character, widely known as “Delu”.
বৃহস্পতিবার বেলা ১১টা ৯ মিনিটে সাঈদীকে কাঠগড়ায় নিয়ে আসার পর এজলাসে আসন গ্রহণ করেন চেয়ারম্যান বিচারপতি এটিএম ফজলে কবীর এবং দুই সদস্য বিচারপতি জাহাঙ্গীর হোসেন ও বিচারপতি আনোয়ারুল হক।
বিচারপতি ফজলে কবীর সংক্ষিপ্ত বক্তব্য দেয়ার পর সোয়া ১১টার দিকে বিচারপতি আনোয়ারুল হক ১২০ পৃষ্ঠার রায়ের সংক্ষিপ্তসার উপস্থাপন শুরু করেন।
রায়ের জন্য সাঈদীকে সকালেই কেন্দ্রীয় কারাগার থেকে ট্রাইব্যুনালে নিয়ে আসা হয়। রায় ঘোষণার আগে আদালতের এজলাসে তাকে একটি চেয়ারে বিমর্ষ বসে থাকতে দেখা যায়। এসময় তার পরনে ছিল সাদা পাঞ্জাবি, মাথায় খয়েরি রঙের হাতের কাজ করা টুপি ও ডানহাতে কালো চামড়ার বেল্টের ঘড়ি। এ সময় তাকে কিছুটা দুঃচিন্তাগ্রস্ত মনে হচ্ছিল।
রায় পড়া শুরুর আগে বিচারপতি ফজলে কবীর উদ্বোধনী বক্তব্যে বলেন, “এই মামলা যার বিরুদ্ধে তিনি বাংলাদেশে অত্যন্ত সুপরিচিতি। তার ওয়াজ শুনতে দূর দূরান্ত থেকে মানুষ ভিড় করে।”
“দেলাওয়ার হোসাইন সাঈদী কেবল মাওলানা হিসোবেই সুপরিচিত নন, তিনি দুইবার সংসদ সদস্যও নির্বাচিত হয়েছেন।”
“তার আরেকটি পরিচয় হলো, তিনি জামায়াতে ইসলামীর নায়েবে আমির।”
এভাবে আসামির পরিচয় দেয়ার পর ট্রাইব্যুনালের চেয়ারম্যান বলেন, “আজ এখানে মাওলানা দেলাওয়ার হোসাইন সাঈদীর বিরুদ্ধে মামলার রায় হচ্ছে না। দুই বারের সংসদ সদস্য বা জামায়াতের নেতা সাঈদীরও রায় দিচ্ছে না ট্রাইব্যুনাল।”
“আজ যার রায় বিরুদ্ধে মামলার দেয়া হচ্ছে, তাকে জানতে হলে আমাদের চল্লিশ বছর পেছনে তাকাতে হবে। তখন পিরোজপুরে সাঈদীকে মানুষ চিনত দেলু নামে।”
বিচারপতি ফজলে কবীর বলেন, সেই সময়ের ৩০ বছরের যুবক সাঈদী ছিলেন রাজাকার বাহিনীর একজন সদস্য। উর্দু ভাল বলতে পারতেন বলে পাকিস্তানি সেনাদের সব অপারেশনেই তিনি তাদের সঙ্গে ছিলেন।
যে ২০টি অভিযোগে দেলাওয়ার হোসাইন সাঈদীর বিচার হয়েছে তাতে হত্যা, ধর্ষণ, লুটপাট ও নির্যাতনের মতো ঘটনা রয়েছে বলে উল্লেখ করেন ট্রাইব্যুনাল।
এরপর রায়ের সংক্ষিপ্তসার পড়া শুরু করেন বিচারপতি আনোয়ারুল হক।